Careers Programme

Careers Programme

At Godalming College we recognise the importance of goals and progression for our students.  Our Careers Programme is designed to maximise the opportunities for students to explore options whether they are initially clear on their career goal or not!  Guidance is one of our core Strategic Aims:  To provide high quality support and guidance, focusing on individual needs, interests and abilities, enabling students to confidently progress onto their next step beyond College.

Our team of highly experienced Careers professionals support and guide the teaching teams in high quality provision of careers information using tools such as Unifrog to help students explore all progression options and make the best choices. Specifically, we aim to help students understand themselves, to develop the knowledge and skills to investigate opportunities in learning and in work and to manage transitions in learning, progressing into appropriate pathways of further and higher learning and work. We support applications for a whole variety of applications for further education, higher education, specialist courses, apprenticeships (including degree apprenticeships) and employment.
We offer support to students who wish to apply for competitive specialist courses and degree courses which have additional requirements to the standard application process; this includes applications for Oxford and Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Music, Art and Drama.  Extra requirements can take the form of entrance exams, aptitude tests, portfolios, interviews and selection days.  This support takes the form of additional timetabled sessions, of one to one support and guidance in subject areas and one to one support for applications through the personal tutorial Shaping Futures programme.

All students have the opportunity for impartial advice and guidance from qualified Careers Guidance Professionals as well as ongoing support from subject teachers, personal tutors and senior tutors.  All students also have the opportunity to access support for work experience.

In addition to the programmes below, students have access to a variety of presentations and meaningful encounters with employers, universities and gap year organisations both in College and by attending external careers events.

Our Careers Lead is Carol Horlock, Assistant Principal, who is responsible for strategic direction supported by Christine Hudson, Head of Careers as the lead for CEIAG (Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance). They can be contacted at careers@godalming.ac.uk  

Pre-enrolment

Year 10 and 11 Open Evenings, Federation Careers Day, School Liaison events, Course Advice Sessions, Going to Godalming (Taster) Days

Access one year course

Year 1

Year 2

External events

Term 1

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Time management, Online reputation, building resilience, selling yourself

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials

Getting started

Getting involved

Reflecting on transition

Reflecting on performance

Independent learning techniques

Individual tutorials to discuss applications / destinations

Third Student Review Applications, CVs, personal statements

Employability skills

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

University applicant days

Term 2

Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Interview success

Careers Options: Careers planning, job search, Unifrog, CVs, course research, re-application to 6th form, careers interviews, HE possibilities, Apprenticeship show

Individual tutorials

First Student Review

Introduction to Careers

UCAS Convention

Job & Apprenticeship Fair

National Careers Week

Next Steps Evening for parents

Individual tutorials Interview practice, Student Finance

Gap years Fourth Student Review

Social media job hunting

Personal Finance

Independent Skills for Living

Jobs & Apprenticeship Fair

UCAS Convention

National Apprenticeship show

Term 3

Individual tutorials

Second Student Review

Learner Voice

Personal Statements and CVs

Future Fridays programme of Careers talks and workshops

Individual tutorials Learner Voice

Results and Beyond

University Open days

Post results:

Post results service: results and careers support, destinations follow-up

ARTiculation presentation at the Ashmolean

ARTiculation by Ruby Clare

Last month I was lucky enough to be selected to take part in the ARTiculation Speaker’s Prize. For this award I had to talk about a work of art I loved for approximately 10 minutes. I chose to discuss a portrait from the Romantic era which hangs in Chatsworth House. The painting by Maria Cosway is called Georgiana as Cynthia from Spenser’s Faerie Queen. I love this art work as it represents the female form in such a powerful pose, this was a rare approach to portraiture when painted in the 1780s. 

My favourite part of ARTiculation was the research into the painting. I wrote to Chatsworth and uncovered lots of facts about Georgiana’s life and her decadent lifestyle as one of the richest women in Britain at that time.

The speaking event itself, although I was nervous, was very enjoyable as it gave me a chance to vocalise my feelings towards this painting and the emotions it evokes it me. It was also fascinating to hear the other participants’ choices of art and how their interests have influenced them. It was also interesting to discover more obscure artists that I hadn’t heard of before and see these artists presented from a unique viewpoint.

Overall the day was a great experience that I would really recommend, I also discovered new artists and artworks during our tour of the Ashmolean and I met new people who loved the same things I did. 

But one of the best parts was the support I got from the college with both my classmates and teachers giving me the confidence to present my talk as well as I did.