Careers Programme

Careers Programme

At Godalming College we recognise the importance of goals and progression for our students.  Our Careers Programme is designed to maximise the opportunities for students to explore options whether they are initially clear on their career goal or not!  Guidance is one of our core Strategic Aims:  To provide high quality support and guidance, focusing on individual needs, interests and abilities, enabling students to confidently progress onto their next step beyond College.

Our team of highly experienced Careers professionals support and guide the teaching teams in high quality provision of careers information using tools such as Unifrog to help students explore all progression options and make the best choices. Specifically, we aim to help students understand themselves, to develop the knowledge and skills to investigate opportunities in learning and in work and to manage transitions in learning, progressing into appropriate pathways of further and higher learning and work. We support applications for a whole variety of applications for further education, higher education, specialist courses, apprenticeships (including degree apprenticeships) and employment.
We offer support to students who wish to apply for competitive specialist courses and degree courses which have additional requirements to the standard application process; this includes applications for Oxford and Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Music, Art and Drama.  Extra requirements can take the form of entrance exams, aptitude tests, portfolios, interviews and selection days.  This support takes the form of additional timetabled sessions, of one to one support and guidance in subject areas and one to one support for applications through the personal tutorial Shaping Futures programme.

All students have the opportunity for impartial advice and guidance from qualified Careers Guidance Professionals as well as ongoing support from subject teachers, personal tutors and senior tutors.  All students also have the opportunity to access support for work experience.

In addition to the programmes below, students have access to a variety of presentations and meaningful encounters with employers, universities and gap year organisations both in College and by attending external careers events.

Our Careers Lead is Carol Horlock, Assistant Principal, who is responsible for strategic direction supported by Christine Hudson, Head of Careers as the lead for CEIAG (Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance). They can be contacted at careers@godalming.ac.uk  

Pre-enrolment

Year 10 and 11 Open Evenings, Federation Careers Day, School Liaison events, Course Advice Sessions, Going to Godalming (Taster) Days

Access one year course

Year 1

Year 2

External events

Term 1

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Time management, Online reputation, building resilience, selling yourself

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials

Getting started

Getting involved

Reflecting on transition

Reflecting on performance

Independent learning techniques

Individual tutorials to discuss applications / destinations

Third Student Review Applications, CVs, personal statements

Employability skills

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

University applicant days

Term 2

Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Interview success

Careers Options: Careers planning, job search, Unifrog, CVs, course research, re-application to 6th form, careers interviews, HE possibilities, Apprenticeship show

Individual tutorials

First Student Review

Introduction to Careers

UCAS Convention

Job & Apprenticeship Fair

National Careers Week

Next Steps Evening for parents

Individual tutorials Interview practice, Student Finance

Gap years Fourth Student Review

Social media job hunting

Personal Finance

Independent Skills for Living

Jobs & Apprenticeship Fair

UCAS Convention

National Apprenticeship show

Term 3

Individual tutorials

Second Student Review

Learner Voice

Personal Statements and CVs

Future Fridays programme of Careers talks and workshops

Individual tutorials Learner Voice

Results and Beyond

University Open days

Post results:

Post results service: results and careers support, destinations follow-up

toby

Prestigious appointment with the National Youth Orchestra

Music student Toby Anderson is celebrating his appointment as a composer for the National Youth Orchestra a prestigious role which has been held by some of the country’s best known musicians.

‘This unrivalled experience of excellence in these formative years is powerful, transformational and lasting. Toby will join what many believe to be one of the most important artistic institutions in the world.’ National Youth Orchestra.  The young musicians will enjoy a very memorable year in which they work with exceptionally talented young musicians, perform in the finest concert halls in the UK, under the world’s leading conductors.

Composers are a unique and distinctive feature of NYO that you won’t find in any other youth orchestra. They work together with the musicians to explore new symphonic compositions and write pieces both for the whole orchestra to play as well and for diverse ensembles. The resulting compositions have, in the past, been performed in unusual public places from Tate Modern galleries to the Peace Bridge in Derry -Londonderry.

Toby describes how he became involved in music and composing in particular. ‘I started playing both piano and cello when I was five years old and immediately loved performing pieces. I enjoyed practicing and worked very hard to get better but I was never a naturally gifted prodigy performer. When I was nine years old, my primary school music teacher decided to put on a composition competition to encourage us to write music. I decided to give it a go and produced a complete mess of a piece but because I was the only one who entered the competition, my piece won the prize.

From then on I must have decided I must be incredibly musically gifted at composition and therefore asked my parents for the computer composition software, Sibelius, for Christmas. For several years I would churn out pieces that slowly but surely became a little more refined. At the same time my parents, who is keenly into classical music, decided to try and develop an interest in me too by showing me their favourite pieces. After a while I started developing favourite pieces too and wanted to emulate the things I loved most about classical music into my own compositions. This culminated in me buying the scores for great works that I loved listening to and studied them closely to understand what was in the music that I connected to so much.

At the same time I decided to start educating myself in composition and orchestration as I started to realise I was getting better at it. Finally in February 2016, I decided to audition/interview for the junior department of the Royal Academy of Music to study Composition. I showed them my pieces and talked about my influences and they gave me a place on the spot. In my first term at the Academy, there was a Carol writing competition for which I wrote my first ever choral piece which won first prize, which led to it being performed. This was a defining moment for me because it was the first time people had played my music and made me decided it was what I wanted to do in the future. Since then I have been busy writing many more pieces for the Academy which have all been performed and well received. I decided to apply for NYO in the spring of 2016 and my portfolio was rejected outright. However when I reapplied this year they offered me an interview in September where I spent all day talking about my portfolio and attitudes towards music. A few weeks later they offered me a position for Composer in Residence.

Over 700 people applied for the position of composer and 4 people have been appointed. I am beyond thrilled that they accepted me and it means I will be able to write music and collaborate with the best musicians in the country on three different residential courses. I am very excited for the year ahead.’

Toby will follow in the footsteps of a previous student Daniel Garel who was appointed to this prestigious position in 2014. He will be performing with over 60 other musicians at the College Christmas Concert on the 6th December
http://www.godalming.ac.uk/news-events/events/detail/2017/12/06/default-calendar/christmas-concert