Careers Programme

Careers Programme

At Godalming College we recognise the importance of goals and progression for our students.  Our Careers Programme is designed to maximise the opportunities for students to explore options whether they are initially clear on their career goal or not!  Guidance is one of our core Strategic Aims:  To provide high quality support and guidance, focusing on individual needs, interests and abilities, enabling students to confidently progress onto their next step beyond College.

Our team of highly experienced Careers professionals support and guide the teaching teams in high quality provision of careers information using tools such as Unifrog to help students explore all progression options and make the best choices. Specifically, we aim to help students understand themselves, to develop the knowledge and skills to investigate opportunities in learning and in work and to manage transitions in learning, progressing into appropriate pathways of further and higher learning and work. We support applications for a whole variety of applications for further education, higher education, specialist courses, apprenticeships (including degree apprenticeships) and employment.
We offer support to students who wish to apply for competitive specialist courses and degree courses which have additional requirements to the standard application process; this includes applications for Oxford and Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Music, Art and Drama.  Extra requirements can take the form of entrance exams, aptitude tests, portfolios, interviews and selection days.  This support takes the form of additional timetabled sessions, of one to one support and guidance in subject areas and one to one support for applications through the personal tutorial Shaping Futures programme.

All students have the opportunity for impartial advice and guidance from qualified Careers Guidance Professionals as well as ongoing support from subject teachers, personal tutors and senior tutors.  All students also have the opportunity to access support for work experience.

In addition to the programmes below, students have access to a variety of presentations and meaningful encounters with employers, universities and gap year organisations both in College and by attending external careers events.

Our Careers Lead is Carol Horlock, Assistant Principal, who is responsible for strategic direction supported by Christine Hudson, Head of Careers as the lead for CEIAG (Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance). They can be contacted at careers@godalming.ac.uk  

Pre-enrolment

Year 10 and 11 Open Evenings, Federation Careers Day, School Liaison events, Course Advice Sessions, Going to Godalming (Taster) Days

Access one year course

Year 1

Year 2

External events

Term 1

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Time management, Online reputation, building resilience, selling yourself

Enrolment interview Individual tutorials

Getting started

Getting involved

Reflecting on transition

Reflecting on performance

Independent learning techniques

Individual tutorials to discuss applications / destinations

Third Student Review Applications, CVs, personal statements

Employability skills

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

University applicant days

Term 2

Individual tutorials Study and work skills: Interview success

Careers Options: Careers planning, job search, Unifrog, CVs, course research, re-application to 6th form, careers interviews, HE possibilities, Apprenticeship show

Individual tutorials

First Student Review

Introduction to Careers

UCAS Convention

Job & Apprenticeship Fair

National Careers Week

Next Steps Evening for parents

Individual tutorials Interview practice, Student Finance

Gap years Fourth Student Review

Social media job hunting

Personal Finance

Independent Skills for Living

Jobs & Apprenticeship Fair

UCAS Convention

National Apprenticeship show

Term 3

Individual tutorials

Second Student Review

Learner Voice

Personal Statements and CVs

Future Fridays programme of Careers talks and workshops

Individual tutorials Learner Voice

Results and Beyond

University Open days

Post results:

Post results service: results and careers support, destinations follow-up

James Casemore - banner

James Casemore welcomed into Yale class of 2024

Upper Sixth student James Casemore describes in his own words how hard work and dedication have secured a place at Yale.

"From secondary school I was set on attending an elite university – at the time my scope was limited to the traditional route of Oxford and Cambridge with the intention to study law. However, as I became more heavily involved with the rowing scene I began to appreciate the opportunities available for high level athletes at universities in the USA. After being scouted by a GB Rowing coach at an event, I worked with him to initially establish contact with the lightweight rowing coach at Princeton University and from that point I began to undergo my journey towards studying in the USA. Having chosen to study English, History, Philosophy and Maths (all as 2 year courses) during my time at college I had put myself in a good position for the SAT entrance exam required for American University admission which involved English language, literature and mathematics all as multiple choice questions. The Universities marked my academic achievement upon a High School Transcript comprised of my GCSE results, predicted A Level results and the aforementioned SAT in which I scored in the 99th percentile which meant I had the realistic chance of attending any University in the USA but I was naturally drawn to the Ivy League.

From that point I attempted to branch out from Princeton and explore opportunities at other American Universities such as Yale and Harvard. My preference was certainly Yale on account of their amazing rowing results and reputation in the business world. Furthermore, it is smaller than Harvard with a much greater focus on undergraduate study.  With a set of good rowing results achieved over summer 2019 such as competing in Henley Royal Regatta and two silver medals at the British Championships I was able to get a foot in the door with the Lightweight Rowing coach at Yale who promptly Skyped me and arranged flights for me to explore Yale on an ‘official visit’. This is unlike anything we have in the UK; it is a 48 hour period for potential athletic recruits to stay with their future teammates, attended classes as a student and watch training sessions of the team they want to be involved in all funded entirely by the university. As such I was flown over on an all-expenses paid trip to New Haven, Connecticut to visit the university along with 5 others (4 Americans and 1 Canadian). During the visit I sat down with the coach to express my desire to join Yale and he very much shared the sentiment that I should be at Yale in the class of 2024. Once the official visits finished (they host potential recruits every weekend for 5 weeks) the coaches were very keen to get my formal application in and finances arranged. The main issue was my inability to secure a student loan: as I was English the US government wouldn’t support me and as I was studying in America the UK government won’t offer a student loan and so I had a great deal of support from the financial aid department at Yale who were concerned, along with the coaches, that I’d pursue my application at Cambridge on the grounds of finances. As such we came to an arrangement in which they have now made study at Yale cheaper than it would be at Cambridge. I have now been officially welcomed into the Yale class of 2024. Through my connections as an athletic recruit I found this out before normal students who would find out from the university on the 16th December whereas I found out the admissions decision in November through the coaches. My offer mainly stemmed from my rowing success however my predicted grades and other academic achievements certainly helped. As there are no minimum grade requirements at US Colleges they are keen to bring the best athletes internationally to study with them as the emphasis on varsity sport is so high. I am currently unsure what I will study as I have until the end of the second year to decide what I wish to study as is the case in the American University system – you apply for a place at the college, not a course – however I think I’ll choose a major focus in an area such as economics as it my intention to work on Wall Street post graduating. 

I am currently involved in the GB Junior Rowing trials system with the goal of representing GB as a junior this summer. Balancing daily training and 4 A-Levels is certainly challenging but it is important for me to remember that there is no such thing as a lack of time, it’s all a matter of priorities and my priorities clearly lie within rowing and college work so I have rarely struggled with time management."